So, what is Whey Protein?

Whey protein is a high quality protein powder from cow’s milk.  Milk has two proteins:  Casein (approximately 80%) and Whey Protein (approximately 20%).  Whey protein is more soluble than casein and also has a higher quality rating.

It has long been considered the “gold standard” of protein for serious athletes who work hard to develop and sustain a lean, strong and well-defined physique.

You may have found that trying to eat enough protein during the day to reach your daily requirement of protein is almost impossible!  Besides, you do not want all that fat and calories from eating so much.

Whey protein is compatible with low-carbohydrate diets and is an ideal choice. Participants in a study recently published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported greater satisfaction, less hunger, and weight loss when fat was reduced to 20% of the total calories in their diets, protein increased to 30%, and carbs accounted for 50%

The study participants ate some 441 fewer calories a day when they followed this high-protein diet and regulated their own calorie intake.  

Another study, reported in the Journal of Nutrition, showed that a high-protein diet combined with exercise enhanced weight and fat loss and improved blood fat (lipid) levels.

“Our research suggests that higher-protein diets help people better control their appetites and calorie intake,” says researcher Donald Layman, PhD, a professor at theUniversity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. “Diets higher in protein [and] moderate in carbs, along with a lifestyle of regular exercise … have an excellent potential to reduce blood lipids [and] maintain lean tissue while burning fat for fuel without dieters being sidetracked with constant hunger.”If you suffer from lactose intolerance, then you should select a pure whey protein isolate, which has less than 0.1 gram of lactose per tablespoon. 

This is less lactose than the amount found in a cup of yogurt and research has shown that most people with lactose intolerance have no trouble taking this very small amount of lactose. 

A product called Advanced Protein meets all of the above criteria and it is delicious!  I love the chocolate (it also comes in banana, strawberry and vanilla) and it tastes so good, just mix with water! 

I mix it with Almond Milk (I am lactose intolerant) and boy, what a great drink!

As you may or may not know, protein is the corner stone to a healthy body.

Protein is an important part in the production of blood hemoglobin, antibodies, new muscle tissue and virtually every metabolic process in the human body!  Hair and nails are mostly made of protein.   Protein is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.  

Along with fat and carbohydrates, protein is a “macronutrient,” meaning that the body needs relatively large amounts of it. Vitamins and minerals, which are needed in only small quantities, are called “micronutrients.” But unlike fat and carbohydrates, the body does not store protein, and therefore, has no reservoir to draw on when it needs a new supply.  

Without enough protein in your diet, the body cannot repair itself and new muscle cannot be formed if essential amino acids are not present.  In addition, without the required essential amino acids found in protein, the body will attempt to glean what it needs from incomplete dietary protein and release it back into the blood stream.

If the essential amino acid is not delivered soon enough, the incomplete protein is transported to the liver where it is separated from its nitrogen base.  The amino acids remaining are then converted to glucose (blood sugar) and used as energy or stored as glycogen in the liver and muscle tissue.  These leftover amino acids can also be stored as fat – yuk! How do you know how much protein you need?   Here is a chart to help you compute how much protein a day you should be consuming.Just find your activity level and multiple your weight by the number next to that level to determine your daily protein requirements. 

Are you eating enough?!!  Example, if you are an adult – competitive athlete, you would multiple your weight by 0.6 – 0.9.  For example, you weigh 250 lbs. and consider yourself a competitive athlete:

         0.6-0.9 X 250 =   150-225 

So, you would need to consume approximately 150 – 225 grams of protein a day!  

If you are like me, you are probably not eating enough protein! 

Activity Level Grams of Protein Per Lb. of Body Weight Per Day  

Current RDA for Inactive Adult 0.4  
Recreational Adult Exerciser 0.5-0.75  
Adult Competitive Athlete 0.6-0.9  
Growing Teenage Athlete 0.8-0.9  

Adult
Building
Muscle Mass

0.7-0.9  
Athlete, Restricting Calories 0.8-0.9  
Maximum Usable Amount for Adults 0.9  

Advertisements